• 1 cup chopped yellow onion
• 3 cloves garlic, chopped
• 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
• 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
• 3 cups water
• 1 1/2 cups green lentils
• 1 cup crushed walnuts
• 2 tablespoons fresh or dried oregano 1 tablespoon medium-high heat oil(canola, avocado, grape seed, olive)
• 1 teaspoon salt
Black pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a medium-sized pot on medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes or until browned. Stir to avoid burning.
2. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, water, and lentils and stir everything together.
3. Let simmer (covered) for 30-40 minutes.
4. Add crushed walnuts, salt, pepper, and oregano and stir well. 5. Serve over pasta of choice.
Top with dried basil leaves or more crushed walnuts for some added texture and flavor.