Serves 4 (2-cup servings)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 tsp sodium-free chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 (15oz) cans low-sodium kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1⁄4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add chopped onion, garlic, and carrots and cook until tender (about 5 minutes).
3. Add chili powder and ground cumin; and cook, stirring constantly, until well blended.
4. Add vegetable broth, 1 can of kidney beans, corn, and black pepper; and bring to a gentle rolling boil.
5. While soup is gently boiling, place canned tomatoes and second can of kidney beans in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth; then add to soup.
6. Add salt to taste. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Estimated nutrition information (per 2 cups)
Calories: 245; Total Fat: 4.9g; Saturated Fat: 0.7g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 441mg; Total Carbohydrate: 40.3g; Dietary Fiber: 10.9g; Total Sugars: 8.8g; Protein: 11.7g; Calcium: 88mg; Iron: 4mg; Potassium: 796mg