• 1 cup of dry green lentils
• 2 medium shallots, sliced
• 2 large cloves garlic, minced
• 1/3 cup hummus
• 3 tbsp of tahini
• 1 1/2 tsp of maple syrup
• 1 tsp of lemon juice (for lentils)
• 2 tbsp of lemon juice (for sauce)
• 3 tsp of olive oil
• 1/4 tsp sea salt and black pepper
• 3 tbsp of chopped fresh dill
• Optional: Fresh chopped parsley and/or kalamata olives
1. Add lentils to boiling water. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes (or until water is mostly absorbed) after reducing heat.
2. Strain the lentils and add them to another pan along with salt, pepper, 1 tsp of maple syrup, 1 tsp of lemon juice, and 2 tsp of olive oil. Stir everything together on low heat.
3. Add remaining 1 tsp of olive oil, shallots, and garlic to pan and cook on medium heat for a few minutes.
4. In a large bowl, mix together hummus, tahini, dill, 1⁄2 tsp of maple syrup, and 2 tbsp of lemon juice. Add a bit of hot water if too thick.
5. Place the cooked lentils into the pan with the shallots and garlic. Mix in the sauce and stir everything together. Optional: top with chopped parsley and/or Kalamata olives.
6. Serve with pita chips, bread, vegetables, or on a baked sweet potato.