• 3 cups of vegetable broth
• 1 cup of coarsely chopped
• fresh tomato or one 15oz can
• chopped tomatoes
• 1 medium onion, finely diced
• 1 cup shredded carrots
• 2 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
• 1 cup raw beets, shredded or very finely chopped 2 tsp salt*
*If you are using salted vegetable broth, you may not need to add any additional salt, so make sure to taste the soup first before adding salt.
1. Pour the vegetable broth into a large pot, add the tomatoes, and bring to a gentle boil.
2. While the broth is getting to the boiling point, chop the vegetables.
3. When the soup comes to a boil, add all of the veggies and salt to the pot, turn down the heat, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes. The vegetables should be tender. Adjust seasoning as desired.
4. Serve hot with some lemon juice or a dollop of low-fat sour cream
Serving suggestion: Sometimes borscht is served cold, but this recipe is better served hot.